Courgette Chocolate Cake
This is a moist fudgy type cake. Sweet but not extremely sweet and makes good use of courgettes when you have an abundance of them in the summer from your allotment. The cake is delicious with a chocolate icing or a cream cheese topping. Enjoy!
2 cups of self raising flour
2 cups of caster sugar
¾ cup best quality cocoa powder
2 teaspoons bicarb of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ Cups vegetable oil
3 cups of grated courgette
¾ cup of chopped walnuts
½ cup of choc chips
Prep:15min › Cook:50min
Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm baking tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the eggs and oil, mix well.
- Fold in the nuts and courgette until they are evenly distributed.
- Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before icing with your favourite icing.