2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion – chopped
3 cloves garlic – finely chopped or through a garlic press
2 carrots – peeled and diced
2 celery stalks – diced
1 medium size courgette – diced (optional )
4 oz fresh green beans, frozen green beans or peas
1 tin chopped tomato
2 vegetable stock cubes – to make to pints
1 tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz macaroni (can use gluten free pasta)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tsp teaspoon dried oregano
1 tsp teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the Olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Make up the stock and add to the pan.
- Add the courgette, green beans or peas, macaroni or pasta, basil, oregano and thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and cannellini beans to the pan.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until all of the vegetables and macaroni are tender.
- Add more seasoning if required to taste, and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese if desired.
This recipe should make enough for 6 people and should cost no more than 82p per portion.
It makes good sense to keep some dry herbs and seasoning in your cupboard. (Aldi herbs are 49p each) Spending a bit of money on these is good budgeting as they last a long time. Leftovers can be frozen for 3 months.