Quiche Lorraine with a twist
1 lb 2 oz (500gms) of shop bought shortcrust pastry
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium onion , peeled and finely chopped
15 oz (430 gms) creme fraiche
4 eggs, lightly beaten
Fresh ground black pepper and a little salt
6 oz (250gms) of grated cheese
I bunch of asparagus
For the bacon and mushroom quiche.
5 rashes of bacon (chopped)
8 mushrooms ( sliced)
Preheat the oven to 180oC (375oF) Gas Mark 5.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the flan dish, line the dish with the pastry and press up the sides of the dish, no need to trim unless you want to.
- Put some grease proof paper in the bottom of the dish and add some baking beans, ‘blind bake’ in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and the paperfrom the pastry case, then return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven down to 1500 oC (300 oF) gas mark 2.
- The filling can be prepared while the pastry is baking.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat, add the onions and fry until soft and translucent.
- Remove the onion from the pan and set aside.
- Cut up the asparagus stems into small pieces leaving about two inches at the top before the tip as these will be used for decorating the top.
- Whisk the creme fraiche and the eggs together gently in a large bowl, then season.
- Spread the onion on the bottom of the pasty, add the chopped asparagus spreading evenly around the bottom.
- Pour the mixture into the flan dish all the way to the top, sprinkle the cheese into the mixture making sure the mixture covers the cheese.
- Lay the tips of the asparagus to form a pattern on the top.
- Place the flan dish onto a baking tray and the place back in the oven,bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling no longer wobbles.
For the bacon and mushroom quiche do exactly the same up until 5.
Fry the bacon and then add to the flan and layer with the chopped mushrooms, save a few pieces of bacon and mushroom to decorate the top.